Source: Chef Nalani Kaneakua, Cafe Aina
Make and share this Island Style" Fish Tacos recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb fresh fish, in 2 oz strips (Ahi, Ono or Mahimahi)
- olive oil
- fresh herb, garlic, salt & pepper
- flour tortilla (fajita size)
Combine or blend the following 1 hour before serving
- 1 large ripe tomato, Finely Diced
- 1⁄4 round onion, Diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, Minced
- 1 large garlic clove, Crushed
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, Minced
- chili flakes, Pinch
- lemon juice
- salt & pepper
Creamy Garlic Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, Peeled
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, Minced (Italian)
- 1 medium round onion, Diced
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Marinate fish in herbs and garlic for 1 hour before grilling.
- Combine or blend the Salsa Fresca ingredients 1 hour before serving:.
- Combine the Dressing ingredients in blender until creamy 1 hour before serving.
- To assemble:.
- Grill strips of fresh marinated fish until medium done, reserve.
- Warm tortillas by grilling or steaming. Place a bed of lettuce or your favorite greens (cabbage) on tortilla. Top with grilled fish, creamy garlic dressing and salsa fresca.
- Garnish with cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Wow! This was a great recipe! Made this last night with Ahi tuna. I did make a couple of changes, we made the sauce with yogurt instead of mayo, as we don't use a lot of mayo in my house! The sauce was delicious with the yogurt! 2 of my 3 kids ate up the tacos no problem, my middle one didn't but he seems to be going through a change in food preferences. Also we didn't know what kind of spices to put on the fish, so I went through my spices and put on some that smelled like they would go with the Ahi tuna, and it came out fine! I also used low-fat buttermilk instead of regular. My husband agreed that we should now try this recipe with mahi-mahi. Loved this, thanks for posting!
So happy to post a glowing first review of this recipe. We had it for Father's Day during ZWT and loved it. We grilled mahi-mahi and it was perfect. Thanks for posting.