Recipe by Rita~
I just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You tell me what you think????!!! Filled with dried cranberries and raisins and flavored with the black caraway seeds are so good. You can use regular but the black tops this. These black seed is also known as Black Cumin, Habbatul Baraka (the Blessed Seed), and by its botanical name "Nigella Sativa".
Top Review by Barb G.
OH MY GOSH Rita this the VERY BEST SODA BREAD, The flavor is absolutely delicious. I made it for dinner last evening. EVERYONE LOVED IT.I made it in my Iron Skillet(Spider- cherished kitchen item)Thank you SOOOoooo Much for posting the recipe. IT IS A KEEPER.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup Irish whiskey (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds, using black caraway better known as yummy Or
- 2 tablespoons nigella seeds, sativa
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pump up dried fruit:.
- Place raisins and cranberries in a glass bowl 1/4 cup pour water or whiskey (gives it a real Irish kick) over it.
- Cover with plastic wrap or paper towel and microwave it for 1 minute. Let sit to cool.
- Add salt, baking powder, sugar, and flour to food processor and pulse 3 times to sift.
- Add the buttermilk, butter and eggs and mix till it comes to a doughy ball.
- Mix in seeds and drained raisins, and cranberries. You may need to do this step by hand.
- Don`t worry if you can knead the dough into a ball it still will be very good. At times my dough is moist because of moisture in the air.
- Place the dough into a well buttered pan using hands well floured shaping the dough.
- (I like cast iron skillet 8-9 inches). Pat down in center for even baking.
- Mark a cross on top and brush with more melted butter.
- Bake in 350 Degree oven for 50-60 minutes.