Recipe by Sharon123
Gathered from an Indonesian website-kokkieblanda, this is a nice blend of vegetables and flavors.
Top Review by Chef C.S.
Just the right sweetness. I halved the tofu though, using just one block of firm tofu. That was the right amount, but I made the full recipe other than that. I used enoki mushrooms, red instead of green bell pepper, and I added diagonally cut bok choy when I added the tofu cubes. It was delicious. My husband said it needed more green (we didn't use the green pepper) so my leftovers which are amazing! have some fresh de-stemmed and de-veined, roughly chopped kale that had been tossed with some olive oil and sea salt earlier today. OMG! I had a hard time stopping the fork before storing it away for tomorrow's lunch.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchstick shapes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 stalk celery, chopped into strips
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 lb firm tofu
Directions See How It's Made
- Press tofu by placing paper towel over tofu and placing a heavy saucepan over the top.
- Let sit while you prepare rest of recipe.
- Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of the broth in a small cup until well blended.
- Add the rest of the broth, vinegar, sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, ginger, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pay over high heat.
- Stir-fry the garlic, onion, and carrots until the carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pepper, celery, and mushrooms and stir-fry for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the sauce well and add it to the vegetables.
- Cook until the mixture thickens. Cut tofu in strips or cubes.
- Add tofu to vegetables and cook until the tofu is thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately over rice.