Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I adapted a recipe from the American Heart Association for Black Beans and Rice to make this recipe. It's pretty simple to make, and the flavors really come through.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry brown basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, preferably fresh squeezed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- garam masala (optional)
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, preferably no salt added
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro or 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook 1-1/2 cups rice in 3 cups of water for 45 minutes or according to package direcitons, omitting salt and margarine.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and curry powder. Add cayenne pepper and/or garam masala, if desired.
- Stir beans into cooked rice; transfer to serving platter. Drizzle with oil mixture, add cilantro, and stir gently.