Recipe by Brian Holley
A versatile spicy batter mix. I use this for creating starters or tit bit bites to serve with drinks. prawns served with a salad in this way make a nice change from the usual, bland offering.
- 6 tablespoons chickpea flour (gram flour)
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 fluid ounces water
- 4 zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, stir in the water to form a batter mixture.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan.
- Coat the zucchini, prawns or whatever with the batter, fry 2 minutes each side.
- Remove from pan, drain on kitchen paper, place in oven to keep warm while the rest of the zucchini is fried.
- Serve hot, or straight from the pan.