Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Think of this burger as a cheeseburger that got really shy. This burger has the cheese inside and not outside.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 -10 slices cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat the broiler.
- Gently mix beef, Worcestershire, paprika, bread crumbs and egg in a large bowl, preferably with your hands, without overworking. Shape into 8 thin, 4-inch-wide patties. The cheese on each of 4 patties, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Cover each with one of the remaining patties. Crimp and seal the edges closed.
- To grill: Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill the stuffed patties over medium-high heat, about 4 minutes per side for medium-well. (Be sure not to press the burgers as they cook or they'll split open and the cheese will ooze out.) To broil: Cover a broiler pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Broil the stuffed patties in the upper third of the oven, about 4 minutes per side for medium-well. In either case, let the burgers stand for 5 minutes before serving.