Don't let the title fool you, these are so good! I adapted them from a regular crab cake recipe on Allrecipes when our grocer had imitation crab on sale. The crab cakes may need 2 eggs as reviewers have noted, it depends on how moist your imitation crab is and how finely you flake it. The cakes won't seem to hold together well but they will cook up nicely, just be sure to make them small and carefully flip them when they're nice and brown on the bottom. I've also made these with finely diced red pepper and cilantro, omitting the green onions, and that is probably our new favorite way to prep.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute green onions briefly until tender.
- Combine crabmeat, sauteed green onions, egg, mayonnaise, dry mustard, crushed crackers, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, lemon, salt and pepper with your hands. Work the ingredients together so they start to stick together.
- Form into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the non-stick skillet over medium-medium high heat. * works really well on a flat griddle.
- Cook cakes until nicely browned on each side.
- Drain briefly on paper towels and serve hot.