Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Don't let the title fool you, these are so good! I adapted them from a regular crab cake recipe on Allrecipes when our grocer had imitation crab on sale. The crab cakes may need 2 eggs as reviewers have noted, it depends on how moist your imitation crab is and how finely you flake it. The cakes won't seem to hold together well but they will cook up nicely, just be sure to make them small and carefully flip them when they're nice and brown on the bottom. I've also made these with finely diced red pepper and cilantro, omitting the green onions, and that is probably our new favorite way to prep.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 (453.59 g) package imitation crabmeat, chopped and flaked
- 1-2 egg
- 29.58 ml light mayonnaise
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs
- 2.46 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 lemon, juice of
- ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute green onions briefly until tender.
- Combine crabmeat, sauteed green onions, egg, mayonnaise, dry mustard, crushed crackers, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, Old Bay seasoning, lemon, salt and pepper with your hands. Work the ingredients together so they start to stick together.
- Form into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the non-stick skillet over medium-medium high heat. * works really well on a flat griddle.
- Cook cakes until nicely browned on each side.
- Drain briefly on paper towels and serve hot.
GREAT recipe, but it was really lacking moisture to stick everything together. I doubled the recipe and added a finely chopped red bell pepper and extra Old Bay for a kick. To fix the moisture issue, I added an extra egg, almost a total of 1/4 cup of lite mayo, then almost 1/4 cup of fat free sour cream. At that point, the patties formed nicely and I had no issues with them falling apart. They turned out very moist, flaky, and delicious. Six picky people ate until they were stuffed and we had no leftovers. Thank you "lolablitz" for the recipe!
I made this recipe and it turned out great!! I used an imitation crab I bought at the dollar store (do not recommend) and it was not good by itself, but it turned out great with this recipe. I also used panko in the mixture and coated the outside with egg and panko and this is the real special touch in this recipe!
I had some left over imitation crab and gave this a try. Wow! Is it good. Highly recommended!