Recipe by Elisabetta47
This is from the sweet "The Supper Book." Author Marion Cunningham says, "This is simply a baked potato with a bright yellow egg sitting on top of it, but when you mash the egg into the buttered potato it's like the sun coming up over the mountains." We enjoy this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It's a one portion recipe which obviously can be doubled and re-doubled all you want.
- 1 medium baking potato (Idaho or russet Burbank)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Scrub, dry & pierce potato several times with fork.
- Bake for about 40 - 50 min., or until soft when poked.
- Remove and slice a piece off the potato lengthwise, large enough to scoop out the insides.
- Mash the insides with 1 T. butter, salt and pepper, & 2 T. milk.
- Refill the potato shell.
- Place on a pie plate or baking sheet.
- Break the egg & drop it on top of the potato.
- Spoon 1 teaspoons melted butter over the egg, salt & pepper it, & put in the oven.
- Bake for about 8 - 10 minutes, or until the egg is set but the yolk is still soft enough to make a nice sauce for the potato.
- Serve hot.