Recipe by Sharlene~W
My husband tuned into to Isaac Mizrahi's new show just as he was making this Macaroni & Cheese with the owner of a shop called Good & Plenty to Go. My husband was so taken with the looks of this dish on TV (and he usually doesn't like Macaroni & Cheese) he immediately saved the show on TIVO so we could recreate the dish. Well, long story short, the results were awesome (a bit greasy from the cheese, though--sop up with some paper towels before serving). It is so rich it isn't something I'd make on a regular basis, but for a special treat it was exceptional and worth the calories!
Top Review by Amber Dawn
I gave this recipe to a co-worker as she was looking to find a mac and cheese recipe that wasn't from a box... this morning I had a note on my desk.... "A huge hit with everyone at Thanksgiving dinner... the kids loved it, the adults wanted more. A 5 Star recipe for sure! This will be part of our Thankgiving dinner for years to come!"
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 -3 dashes hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups muenster cheese, shredded
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (I used Mild Cheddar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water (do not add oil to water) for about 8 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour with whisk.
- When flour is incorporated into butter, slowly add butter, cream and hot pepper sauce.
- Whisk while cooking until sauce is thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (I use about 1/4 tsp. salt)
- Mix noodles and sauce together until noodles are coated.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of Munster cheese and 3 cups of the cheddar cheese until cheese is incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to 6x8 to 8x8 casserole.
- Spread remaining cheese over top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.