Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband tuned into to Isaac Mizrahi's new show just as he was making this Macaroni & Cheese with the owner of a shop called Good & Plenty to Go. My husband was so taken with the looks of this dish on TV (and he usually doesn't like Macaroni & Cheese) he immediately saved the show on TIVO so we could recreate the dish. Well, long story short, the results were awesome (a bit greasy from the cheese, though--sop up with some paper towels before serving). It is so rich it isn't something I'd make on a regular basis, but for a special treat it was exceptional and worth the calories!
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 -3 dashes hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups muenster cheese, shredded
- 4 cups cheddar cheese (I used Mild Cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water (do not add oil to water) for about 8 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour with whisk.
- When flour is incorporated into butter, slowly add butter, cream and hot pepper sauce.
- Whisk while cooking until sauce is thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (I use about 1/4 tsp. salt)
- Mix noodles and sauce together until noodles are coated.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of Munster cheese and 3 cups of the cheddar cheese until cheese is incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to 6x8 to 8x8 casserole.
- Spread remaining cheese over top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown.
I gave this recipe to a co-worker as she was looking to find a mac and cheese recipe that wasn't from a box... this morning I had a note on my desk.... "A huge hit with everyone at Thanksgiving dinner... the kids loved it, the adults wanted more. A 5 Star recipe for sure! This will be part of our Thankgiving dinner for years to come!"
Very good, very tasty! Excellent macaroni. So many calories and really bad for you, but its worth it! Macaroni lovers, you gotta try this!