Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adopted 9/15. Note to self: Do NOT change. Adjustments: Wheat flour tortillas added, peanut oil specified and salt now optional
- 8 flour tortillas or 8 wheat flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
- salt (optional)
- Brush 4 tortillas with sesame oil then some of egg.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons green onions over each tortilla.
- Top each with remaining tortillas.
- Press firmly around edges and cover with plastic wrap or cover with wax paper. Place a plate on top of the cakes for 15 minutes to help seal the edges.
- Let stand until ready to deep fry.
- Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep pan to 400°F.
- Using tongs, slip tortilla cakes, one at a time, into hot oil.
- Cook, turning with tongs, to puffy and golden brown on both sides.
- Drain each cake, holding it vertically over pan.
- Drain again on paper towels.
- While hot, cut each cake into 4 to 8 wedges.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired.
- Serve hot.
I learned to make these in a Chinese cooking class I took many years ago. We did not deep-fry these, but either cooked them in a dry skillet or with just a little bit of oil. (Sprinke salt before topping with the second tortilla). They work beautifully both ways, but I think I prefer them with the touch of oil.(I cannot remember when I last deep-fried anything, I'm afraid). Also, I also added a little bit of shredded cheese to a couple of these - most assuredly a non-Chinese touch, but even our instructor admitted to liking them that way. Anyway, thanks for posting
What a simple but yummy snack! So very easy to put together and really not that bad for you either. I have had the same type thing made with egg roll wrappers and there really isn't too much difference when using tortillas. I like the fact that most of the ingredients are usually on hand and if one decides they want something to munch on, it won't take forever to prepare. Thanks for another alternative to a bag of greasy chips!