Recipe by Sharon123
A little twist to the traditional! Adapted from Wraps cookbook.
Top Review by Debbwl
A nice twist on an old favorite. Have loved egg and bean burritos for years and the added spices gives this burrito a nice kick. Made as written. Next time will scale back on the spices a little while I loved the flavor the spices gave off they did over power the egg. The balance was just a very little off. Thanks so much for the post.
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce, divided (or salsa)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 flour tortillas (10-inch or 11-inch)
- 4 eggs
- kosher salt (if using table salt, use 1/2 as much)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Mix the beans, 1/4 cup of the picante sauce, the cilantro, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Divide the bean mixture among the tortillas and spread evenly over each tortilla, leaving at least a 1" border around the edge. Place the tortillas on a large baking sheet and sprinkle them with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 4-5 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and whisk together with 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt(use half as much if using table salt). Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook until they begin to become firm, about 1 minute, stirring frequently with a spatula. Add the remaining 1/4 cup picante sauce and continue to cook, stirring continuously, until the eggs are cooked through but still soft, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven. Divide the egg mixture among the tortillas and wrap. Enjoy this wrap immediately.
- How to wrap:.
- If tortilla is stiff, warm slightly(about 15 seconds) to make more flexible. Fold the right and left edges of the tortilla over the filling, toward the center. Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla toward the center and gently roll until the tortilla is completely wrapped around the filling.
- You can use a microwave for this. Once the tortillas have been prepared with the beans and cheese, place the tortillas, one at a time, on a paper towel lined microwaveable plate and cook on high power until the cheese melts, about 1 minute.