Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Something I prepared using a small spirit fish smoker with mesquite sawdust but any hot smoker should do the trick. For the pepper use your favourite mix or things like Cajun seasoning would work well, I think the texture is nicer using something a little coarsely ground rather than a fine powder. Don't use anything too strong and adjust to taste. Preparation time does not include few hours marination time.
- 200 g kangaroo fillets
- 1⁄4 cup shiraz wine
- 2 teaspoons seasoned pepper
- Place kangaroo fillets and shiraz in a freezer bag, wrap well and refrigerate for an hour or two.
- Drain shiraz and lightly dry fillets by placing down each side on a paper towel. Rub over pepper mix.
- Lightly spray a small single layer of aluminum foil with oil to prevent sticking and too much direct heat, place roo on top.
- Prepare smoker and start smoking for 15 minutes. I only used about a tablespoon of mesquite sawdust because I didn't want too much of a smoke flavour over the relatively long cooking time.
- Open lid, turn over fillets and smoke a further 15 minutes. After this there shouldn't be much smoke left, it's just to cook a little further.
- Rather than serving at once remove heat from the smoker and allow it to rest 5 minutes or so.
- Serve with a salad and remaining shiraz.