Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 mins
Credit goes to Melissa Diane Smith, author of "Going Against the Grain" for this recipe. Her book is filled with interesting information, a good read! Not to mention all the good recipes in the last part of the book! : )
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup quinoa
- unrefined sea salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or 1 tablespoon hazelnut butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (GF, Alcohol-free brand, if desired)
- Boil the water and add the quinoa flakes and a dash of salt (optional) and cook for 90 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool and thicken slightly.
- Meanwhile, put the blueberries in a small saucepan and heat on low until thawed and warmed.
- Stir the nut butter into the cooked cereal and mix well until the nut butter is evenly dispersed and no clumps remain.
- Stir in the almond extract and the thawed blueberries (and resulting blueberry juice).
I loved this and quinoa is the only plant food that is a complete protein in and of itself. I had no almond extract so I used pure vanilla extract. This would also be great with raspberries, blackberries or sauteed apples and cinnamon. I suspect that previous reviewers may have made this using regular quinoa and not the flakes for cereal. Try it but don't use the regular quinoa! Thank you Ginny for posting!