Recipe by Missy Wombat
This vegan drink is great when the weather is cooler. Something a little different. I also like to add cardamom.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
WOW! Simply delicious! I made a mug of this for myself this morning using 1 cup of low-fat milk(I dont like the taste of soya milk, so I substituted with low-fat milk), 2 green cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1 tsp. sugar, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick and about 1/4 inch piece of ginger. This was really full of flavour! Thanks for a great recipe, Donna! This will be oh so wonderful on cool winter nights around a campfire:) I would call this "Masala or Spiced Milk Drink" than a "Chai drink" because Chai would mean tea leaves should be there in the drink, but this drink did not use that.. Just a thought I thought I should share...
- 1⁄2 liter of your favorite unflavored soya milk (thicker is better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon artificial sweetener (your choice, I use raw sugar - you can also use more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large cooking pot (at least twice the size needed to contain your soya milk), mix everything together and heat on high while stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil (remember to stir constantly!), and the concoction will froth up.
- Remove from heat, let the froth subside, and repeat this cycle three more times.
- This is why your pot has to be bigger: the frothing would cause a major spill if you used a smaller pot.
- Serve and drink while hot.