Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Powdered Sugar Glaze: In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, milk and butter. Stir until smooth.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 envelopes fastrising yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, carrots, sugar, undissolved yeast, cinnamon, and salt.
- Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120o to 130oF).
- Gradually add to flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs and 1 cup all-purpose flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in dates and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Punch dough down; shape into 6-inch diameter ball.
- Place in greased 9-inch round pan.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1hour.
- Brush with egg white.
- Bake at 375oF for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- Cover lightly with foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excess browning.
- Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
- Drizzle Powdered Sugar Glaze on top of bun in the shape of a cross.
- Decorate cross with sliced almonds.