1/2 Photos of Hot and Sour Soup
Vino Girl's Note:
From Everyday Food April 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 -4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 7 ounces firm tofu or 7 ounces soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1In a large pot, combine broth, soy sauce, pepper, and water.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 3Add mushrooms. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- 4Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- 5Add vinegar mixture to the pot and simmer, stirring, for about one minute or until thickened.
- 6Add egg through a slotted spoon while stirring.
- 7Stir in tofu.
- 8Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 minute.
- 9Press ginger through a small sieve to release juice into the soup. Discard solids.
- 10Sprinkle with scallions and serve.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Sour Soup
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.0
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 596.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 11.8 g