From Everyday Food April 2004.
Make and share this Hot and Sour Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 3 -4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 7 ounces firm tofu or 7 ounces soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- In a large pot, combine broth, soy sauce, pepper, and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add vinegar mixture to the pot and simmer, stirring, for about one minute or until thickened.
- Add egg through a slotted spoon while stirring.
- Stir in tofu.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 minute.
- Press ginger through a small sieve to release juice into the soup. Discard solids.
- Sprinkle with scallions and serve.