1/1 Photo of Hostess Cupcakes Copycat
1 hr 25 mins
Cake Baker's Note:
Found this on a food blog. The original recipe came from Food Network Magazine Feb/Mar 09 issue -- called Lu Lu's Cupcakes. Looks delish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
Ganache and Icing
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350. Place paper liners in two 12-cup muffin pans.
- 2Prepare the cupcakes: Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Bring the sugar and 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add the chocolate and butter and let sit, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture has cooled slightly. Stir in the vanilla. Using a mixer, beat in the eggs, then mix in the dry ingredients.
- 3Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans (about 1/4 cup batter per cupcake) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pans for about 25 minutes, then transfer cupcakes to a rack to cool completely.
- 4Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar. Add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon heavy cream; beat until smooth. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons heavy cream in batches, alternating after each addition. Beat in the marshmallow creme; set aside.
- 5Prepare the ganache: Place the chocolate in a stainless-steel bowl. Heat the cream and 1 tablespoon butter until just boiling, then pour over the chocolate; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla; let stand until cool but still glossy and liquid.
- 6Spoon the filling into a pastry bag with a medium tip. Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake top; fill until the cupcake is heavier (do not overfill). Dip the cupcake tops in the ganache. Chill for at least 15 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, prepare the icing: Using a mixer, beat the remaining 1 stick butter, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, the milk and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spoon into a pastry bag with a small tip; pipe onto the cupcakes to decorate.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hostess Cupcakes Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.9
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 53.7 mg
- Sodium 178.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 29.7 g
- Protein 2.1 g