Recipe by Eat Your Vegetables!
Adapted from Real Simple magazine. If you choose to use Russet potatoes (which the recipe originally called for), they will need to be peeled. I usually decrease the amount a little and bake this in a pie plate. Since it ends up being stacked 2 partial rows high, I can skip the first 25 minute bake and just bake uncovered for 1 hour and about 15 minutes. The deeper the potatoes are stacked, the longer it will take to bake. Also, I tend to substitute half & half for heavy cream and that works just fine in this recipe.
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 lbs red potatoes, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375.
- Coat a shallow 3 qt baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, horseradish, nutmeg, 1 1/2 t salt, and 3/4 t pepper.
- Layer the potatoes in the baking dish in a circular, overlapping fashion. Pour the sauce over all, press gently to submerge the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for approximately 1 hour, until the top potatoes are crispy and the lower ones are soft.