Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I collect celebrity recipes, but this is one I had and didn't know it until today. This recipe from Hopalong Cassidy (actor William Boyd) was found in A Cowboy Christmas. He says, "This is a fine recipe that will be utterly ruined if you cook the chickens over too hot a flame."
- 2 young chicken, 1-1/4 lbs each
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 strips bacon
- 1 lb butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- parsley, for garnish
- Cut up chicken; wash and drain, but do not wipe dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll in flour.
- In a deep skillet, fry out the bacon until there is deep fat in the pan; remove bacon.
- Add butter and chicken.
- Cook slowly in hot fat, turning frequently, until chicken is well browned.
- Remove chicken to a hot platter.
- Add bacon and milk to the cooking fat; stir thoroughly.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour over chicken and garnish with parsley sprigs.