Recipe by Belinda M.
A delicious wheatberry bread that tastes like store-bought. Kids love it! I use my bread machine on the dough setting to mix and knead the dough, but can also be made using a KA mixer or by hand. This bread uses vital wheat gluten, which can be purchased at wal-mart and most grocery stores.
- 236.59 ml water (cold water)
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 44.37 ml honey
- 3.69 ml salt
- 29.58 ml instant potato flakes
- 118.29 ml hard red wheat berries (cooked)
- 177.44 ml whole wheat flour
- 591.47 ml bread flour (or all-purpose)
- 44.37 ml powdered milk (Non-Fat Dry)
- 9.85 ml white vinegar
- 29.58 ml vital wheat gluten
- 9.85 ml instant yeast (or quick rising yeast)
Directions See How It's Made
- **To cook wheat berries**.
- Combine 1/2 cup rinsed wheat berries and 2 cups water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered for about 1 ½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary. ( Cook until soft and some are popping open)
- Drain any standing water before adding the cooked wheat berries to the dough.
- Add drained wheat berries and 1 cup of cold water in the bread machine pan, Cool to lukewarm.
- Add the rest of the liquid ingredients followed by the dry ingredients on top, yeast will be last.
- Set bread machine to dough setting. Check in a few minutes, if dough looks too dry or too wet add a few tablespoons of warm water or flour to get a good soft dough consistency.
- When dough setting is complete (my machine is 1 ½ hours) remove dough from bread machine pan onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a roll. Put in a bread pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray. Let rise for about 40 minutes to 1 hour or until about 1 ½ inches above pan.
- Cook on 350 degrees on middle rack of oven for about 30 to 35 minutes. Should be golden brown ( when thumped with your finger on the bottom of the loaf it should sound hollow )
- Remove bread from pan to cooling rack to cool. Let it cool at least 1 hour before slicing.