Recipe by ClareVH
The recipe is from America's Best Recipes 2003, and is a variation of Chex Mix. The first time I made it, I used packaged ground cardamom. I have since scored a bag of green cardamom pods at my local Middle Eastern market, so next time I will grind my own.
Top Review by Trisha W
Yum, Yum!! What a wonderful snack. I had never used cardamom until I bought it for a chai tea mix a couple of weeks ago. It smelled so good in this recipe and the taste is superb. I am sure this will not last long around our house.
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal squares such as Rice Chex
- 2 cups tiny pretzel twists
- 1 cup whole almond (I prefer blanched)
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup dried cranberries (I used Trader Joe's Orange Flavored Cranberries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large roasting pan and stir well.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, honey and cardamom in a medium saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and cook until blended, stirring often.
- Pour brown sugar mixture over cereal mixture and toss to coat.
- Bake at 300F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries after removing from oven and spread mixture on a baking sheet to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.