Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Better Homes and Garden Canning and Freezing. Submitted in reply to a request.
- 5 lbs pears
- 4 cups cranberry juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 1 cup wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied ginger
- 8 inches cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- Wash, peel, core, and halve pears.
- In 4-6 qt. kettle combine remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer uncovered 5 minutes.
- Add pears. Cook, turning often, until almost tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pack hot pears into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head-space.
- Cover with hot syrup, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes for pints.
Just as the other reviewer pointed out, the color is beautiful, the flavor just wonderful. I'm not into spiced apples but this is good.
Very simple and used things I had on hand. The taste was extraordinary and the color was very eye appealing. It looks so pretty just sitting in the pantry. I will admit there was a lot of extra liquid so when the initial pears were packed I peeled more and did more. Then the children and my husband drank the rest of the juice\liquid that was left over still. lol