Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A yummy Middle Eastern recipe from Good Deal with Dave Lieberman! A great healthy snack.
Make and share this Honey Almond Date Balls recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb raw almonds
- 2 pints pitted dates (Medjool is really good)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- vegetable oil, for forming balls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor until finely chopped. Move chopped almonds to a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant and just a shade darker.
- Coarsely chop dates and add to food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and dates form a ball. Remove from processor to a bowl.
- Add half of the ground almonds to the dates, leaving the reserved almonds on the baking pan to roll the balls in once formed.
- Add the honey to the date and almond mixture. Mix together until evenly mixed and smooth.
- Coat your hands with some vegetable oil so mixture does not stick too much.
- Form mixture into 1-1/2" balls. Roll each ball in ground almonds to coat well. Place in a sealed container until ready to eat.
- Any leftover chopped nuts for coating can be sprinkled over the balls to keep them from sticking together when moving.
- Will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature or up to a week in refrigerator.
Very fun! I used dried apricots instead of dates since that's what I had on hand... it hurt my wrist to mix but they are tasty.
Sharon, these date balls are soooooooo yummy!!!! Wow, I was a little sceptical, cause I dont like dried dates that much, but these little gems are just so moreish! They have a very sweet taste with the roasted almonds adding a nice toasty flavour and lots of crunch. I made half the recipe, but still ended up with 21 nicely sized balls. I used only 1 1/2 tbs of honey and found that to be the maximum sweetness for myself. Maybe next time Ill use even less. I cant wait to present these to my cousin, who likes healthy sweets, I think she will be thrilled! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us! Ill certainly make it again! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #21 April 2010.
Delicious! I didn't have enough dates so made up the difference with golden raisins. Also toasted some unsweetened coconut along with the almonds and made them quite small so they'd be bite-sized for a party. Thanks!