Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My reverse-engineered recipe for Hometown Buffet's "Creamy Macaroni and Cheese", as requested by a "fan". Recipe may be doubled and baked in a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- 3 quarts boiling water (unsalted)
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄3 cups skim milk (or 50% milk with 50% water)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz or 0.5 (15 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 8 ounces shredded medium cheddar
- 2 tablespoons powdered parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded medium cheddar
- BOIL 3 quarts salt-free water in a 4-quart pot; ADD 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni; SCRAPE bottom immediately with a wire whisk to avoid sticking; BOIL macaroni for 8-10 minutes.
- POUR macaroni into colander in sink (remove all pasta from bottom of pot); RINSE macaroni and pot with cold water; ALLOW to drain.
- RETURN empty pot to a new burner stovetop over medium-low heat; ADD 2 tablespoons margarine and allow to melt, then add 1 1/3 cups skim milk (or 50% milk with 50% water), 1/8 teaspoon white pepper, 1 pinch cayenne pepper, and 1 pinch garlic powder.
- RAISE heat to medium until heated; ADD the contents of one (8 ounce) jar Cheez-Whiz (or half the contents of one 15-ounce jar), scraping all contents from jar using a flexible spatula; ADD 8 ounces shredded medium cheddar cheese.
- WHISK mixture often without letting mixture boil, until thickened and glossy in appearance.
- ADD rinsed drained macaroni; FOLD mixture together until well-blended.
- POUR mixture into greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- BAKE at 300°F for 15 minutes.
- REMOVE from oven with oven mitts; SPRINKLE top with 1/3 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese; ALLOW to set just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- SERVE and enjoy.
A great "in-a-hurry" mac 'n cheese. Very creamy texture and nice flavor. Made for Spring 2013 PAC game.
I liked the creamy texture. The only thing I added was a combo of butter, breadcrumbs and romano cheese over the top