Recipe by CHEF GRPA
This moist corn bread with a crisp, golden crust is great with chili con carne or as stuffing for your holiday turkey.
Top Review by CarrolJ
Excellent cornbread. I served it with a pot of chili and it went together very well. I personally like a little more sweetness in my cornbread but this one is a good 'happy medium' between those cornbreads that are definitely sweet and those who are not. I especially liked the texture of this cornbread because it did not crumble. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*F. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake it at 350*F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Tip's: If your bread is too dense try beating the batter longer next time. In the original recipe It stated to beat for 5 minute I know this seems extreme, but it will help. This helps whip more air into it.
- If you like it on the sweet side see Chef Grpa recipe#503887 #503887 You will love it.
- Since it's impossible for me, just to follow a recipe ( and believe me, this cornbread is as good as gold when you do the original ), here are a few variations on the theme which jazzed it up for my picky crew I did over the years: switch ingredient amounts between the cornmeal and flour; let the milk/cornmeal mixture sit for 10 minutes or so and whisk it a few times; use half white and half light brown sugar; mix the whole batch for at least 5 minute on low speed; bake in a glass pyrex and reduce oven temp by 25 degrees. then soften some butter in the microwave, mix with honey and a pinch of salt ( to taste ) and slather this righteous bread with that spread.