Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This bread is most like the soft white bread that you buy at the store. If you like a softer crust, butter the top and put in a zip-loc bag.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup warm water
- Whisk together the yeast, 1/4 cup warm water and sugar.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add ingredients in the order suggested by your manufacturer, including the yeast mixture.
- Select the basic and light crust setting.
- A white bread recipe without a strong yeast flavor.
- Proofing the yeast first eliminates some of the yeast taste from the final product.
- Makes 2 lb loaf.
Hey thanks so much for this recipe...making it again for the 2nd time now...im trying 1cup of 2% milk in substitution for the dry milk as last time i found the dough was a wee bit dry and had to add a few tablespoons of water...we will see how it turns out.. a great recipe in which i will be using whenever i make sandwich bread!
Very nice. I just tried this recipe today and my 82 year old mother loves it. In fact, she wanted a grilled cheese made with this bread and it turned out great. Most of the loaf was eaten with butter slathered on it. Thanks for sharing an easy and excellent recipe.
The flavor on this bread is rich and yeasty. However, the dough was incredibly dry and unworkable. I wound up adding water, as well as olive oil, to try to make it a more manageable dough. The result was a heavy, dense loaf that - while tasty - lacked the fluffy personality that Wonderbread or any other sandwich-quality bread possesses. I am an experienced baker, and paid close attention to my measurements; however, I did not produce this with a bread machine as I don't have one. That being said, I've used other bread recipes that converted to no-machine production without any issue. So in a nutshell, nice flavor, but awful consistency.