Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This bread is most like the soft white bread that you buy at the store. If you like a softer crust, butter the top and put in a zip-loc bag.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup warm water
- Whisk together the yeast, 1/4 cup warm water and sugar.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add ingredients in the order suggested by your manufacturer, including the yeast mixture.
- Select the basic and light crust setting.
- A white bread recipe without a strong yeast flavor.
- Proofing the yeast first eliminates some of the yeast taste from the final product.
- Makes 2 lb loaf.
Hey thanks so much for this recipe...making it again for the 2nd time now...im trying 1cup of 2% milk in substitution for the dry milk as last time i found the dough was a wee bit dry and had to add a few tablespoons of water...we will see how it turns out.. a great recipe in which i will be using whenever i make sandwich bread!
A cup 1/4 of water per 4 C. of flour, plus other dry ingredients is not workable. I usually add flour at least 1 C. short of what is called for, then just add what of that I need to get a nice dough. But here even 3 C. was too much. I ended up adding more water till I got a good consistency. The amount of salt seemed high also, so I cut that back to 1 1/2 and it still seems a bit salty. I haven't baked it yet, but the dough looks good. Just be careful adding that flour!
I have made this bread 4 times now.. I follow the recipe exactly.. I add the flour a cup at a time and stop when the dough looks good and feels good. I know amounts of water vs flour needed can varry according to your elevation / area. This is THE go to bread. Sandwich bread , morning toast, grilled cheese.. this is THE best of the best. I even photo 'd the recipe for my jump drive, so that I won't loose it... ever. This is one of those recipes that convinces people I can do magic in the kitchen.. L O V E I T !!! (edit) I have now used this recipe many many many times , have changed things and experimented.. I always go back to this original recipe. You can't go wrong with this one.. its amazing