Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Do you have sinus congestion with clogged ears? Well this is for you, very simple. This recipe was given to me by several nurses I work with; it's the same advice they give to our patients (pediatric through adult) and so they gave the same advice to me when I had these symptoms and let me tell you, it works wonders.
- You will also need: 1 dropper.
- Mix the water and salt.
- Squeeze some of the mixture through a dropper.
- Lay across a bed, with your head hanging over, upside down, and sniff a few drops up each nostril.
- Do this as many times within a 2 hour period and blow your nose occasionally until each ear/nostril is cleared.
- Take a break for a few hours, then perform again, as needed.
Recipe is spot on. It is extremely important to use distilled water or boil your water and sterilize the dispenser also. Some districts do not treat their tap water enough to kill the Naegleria fowleri amoeba. If you fail to sterilize your water this amoeba can travel from your nose to your brain and kill you. This is called primary amebic meningoencephalitis.
I'm a visiting nurse, if a patient needs saline, we give them the recipe given but tell them to bring the solution to a boil, then simmer it for 10 minutes. Let it cool then put it into a sterile container. I've been using this method for 24 yrs. with good results. I also have allergies and the net pot works wonders.
My alergist recommends adding a pinch of Baking Soda to buffer the salt and generally using distilled water if the solution is going to be prepared ahead of time and used over several days. I have also seen recipes that specify non-iodized salt, but no reason was given.