Prep 4 hrs
Cook 24 hrs
I found this recipe in an Amish cookbook. I haven't tried it yet but am going to very soon. Let me know if you like it.
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 quart hot water
- 4 teaspoons root beer extract
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- Dissolve sugar in 1 quart hot water.
- Mix together dissolved yeast, sugar, and root beer extract in gallon jar.
- Fill jar with warm water and stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Cover jar.
- Set in warm sun for 4 hours.
- The root beer will be ready to drink the next day.
- Chill before serving.
This is an awesome recipe for root beer. My mom made it for our family and I intend to make some up for Christmas gifts for friends and family next year (with a half gallon of ice cream--:-). Thanks for posting!