Root Beer (Hires Home Brewed)
photo by Chef AmberK
- Ready In:
50 12 oz bottles
- 3 ounces hires extract
- 4 lbs sugar
- 4 3⁄4 gallons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 pint warm water
- Pour extract over 4 lbs of sugar. Mix well. (Vary amounts of sugar and extract to taste).
- Dissolve mixture in 4 3/4 gallons of lukewarm water.
- Mix 1/2 tsp of dry active yeast in a pint of lukewarm water. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Stir well and strain through cheesecloth. In cool weather (under 70F) double the amount of yeast used. In hot weather (over 90F) cut the amount in half.
- Add the yeast mixture to the solution of sugar, extract, and water. Mix well and pour into sterilized bottles immediately. Fill bottles to within 1/2 inch of the top to minimize spoilage caused by excess air. Cork bottles securely or seal with crown or stopper.
- Place bottles on their sides in warm place(70-80) until effervescent. (If set in a cool place immediately the beverage will sour and remain flat.) The product should be ready to drink in about 5 days (longer in cooler weather.) Move the bottles to a cool place. Refrigerate just before drinking. The beverage will have a slight yeast flavor and contain some sediment. Do not filter.
- For best results - use only returnable type carbonated beverage bottles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!