Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Whenever we went to visit my relatives in Germany we used to bring back this herb seasoning because it goes so well in salad dressings or when you want something more than just salt on your eggs. One day, having run out, I decided to try making my own. It worked so well, the homemade version actually tasted better than the purchased one, and now I have a little collection of it in different varieties. The first one I tried went like this:
- 5 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Put all the ingredients into an electric coffee grinder, and grind into a fine powder. Store in a dry place (I keep it in an empty jam-jar).
- Try it with different herbs in different proportions. For example, lemon zest and rosemary salt tastes GREAT on french-fries!
Sorry, but I could only give 3 stars as this was way too salty. I doubled the herbs and still too salty. Maybe just 1 or 2 teaspoons would do it. However after diluting the salt and adding onion powder and paprika is was very good.