Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We used to have this incredible Russian restaurant here and they used to make something similar to this. I decided when they went out of business that I would try to replicate one of their fabulous dishes. You may add or subtract any of the veggie ingredients to you liking. It seems to be if you add more veggies of various kinds, you may get a pasta primavera, without the tomato paste.
- 1⁄2-1 lb linguine
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (you may choose whatever flavor, I like to use garlic and onion or mushroom and garlic or basil, garl)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) canof medium black olives
- 1 medium sweet onion
- olive oil, just enough to cover the pan
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (or more)
- 1 zucchini (optional)
- jalapenos (optional) or red pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 pinch dried basil or 1 -2 pinch fresh basil
- vegan butter, you may add this when you are cooking your onions in addition to the olive oil, it gives the sauce a
- Get a skillet deep enough to hold the contents and the liquid of the sauce. Remember that the veggies will cook down so you need not use a pot unless you are doubling the recipe
- Quarter your mushrooms.
- Use about ½ a green pepper. You may use more or less depending on your taste for green pepper.
- Chunk the onion. Kind of like strips then cut the strips in half. This gives the sauce a great flavor.
- Heat your pan and add the olive oil. Make sure that the olive oil covers the bottom of the pan.
- Add your onion and sauté until they are almost clear.
- Add your green pepper and sauté until they are almost soft.
- Add your mushrooms and sauté until they are almost soft.
- If you are using zucchini, add now. This will take awhile to cook down so be patient.
- At this point you may need to add more oil or butter.
- When your veggies are at a good constancy, add 1-2 cans of diced tomatoes, 2 cans of sliced black olives, 2 pinches of dried basil, and the jalapeno or red pepper if you chose to use.
- Cover and let simmer for 30-45 minutes on low.
- Start cooking linguine
- By the time the linguine is done, so should be your sauce.
- Drain and serve linguine and cover with sauce.