Recipe by Sharon123
Maria says, These homemade Cheez-Its are so quick and easy to make, and if you love the store bought version, these taste almost exactly the same! And from start to finish they only take about an hour to make! But I warn you, even though it may look like you have lots and lots of little Cheez-Its lined up on your baking sheet, they will be gone very quickly! Because they really are addicting! From Shopgirl.
Top Review by mbblack
Timing is all wrong. Found another recipe that is almost the same on another website stating 15-17 minutes. Much closer to accurate. This is on a temperature tested oven, so it's not that mine is heating 50 degrees lower than it is supposed to. Additionally, and you can tell based on the smell in the oven way before you taste them, this make CHEESE STRAWS. Very different and not at all like Cheez Its.
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (I used sharp aged white cheddar-can use half cheddar and half goats cheese)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (I sub 1/3 cup whole wheat flour and may try some wheat germ and nutritional yeast)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
Directions See How It's Made
- First, mix together the shredded cheese, half of the salt and the softened butter. (I used sharp aged white cheddar cheese, but you can use whatever kind of cheese you like. I shredded my own cheese just because I think it has better flavor and melts better, but you can use pre-shredded too to save some time!) Add in the flour and mix until the dough looks like little fluffy clumps. Then, with the mixer running begin adding the ice water and mix until a soft dough forms. (use as much ice water as you need for a dough to form).
- Divide the dough in two, form each into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes. Then, roll the dough out on a floured surface into about an 1/8 inch thickness and using a fluted pastry cutter, cut the dough into about 1 inch squares.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer your little cheez-its onto the parchment paper, make a hole in the center of each with a toothpick, then sprinkle them with the rest of the salt. Bake for about 7 - 10 minutes (baking time will depend on your oven, just watch them carefully so they don't burn!), or until they have puffed up and the edges begin to brown. Let cool before eating. (They are best eaten right away, but you can store them in an airtight container).