Recipe by Debber
Get out the cookie cutters to make ornaments--all through the year. Make little hearts for Valentines, shamrocks for March, empty tomb for Easter, pilgrim scene for Thanksgiving, nativity scene for Christmas. Have fun!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan, mix dry ingredients, then add liquids.
- Cook over medium heat until a soft, lumpy ball forms (it happens VERY quickly).
- Remove from heat; cool for 30 minutes (drape a dish towel over the pot); knead by hand until dough is smooth.
- Store in an air-tight container OR it can be frozen (and refrozen several times).
- IDEAS: This dough can also be dried and then painted with tempera paints.
- ANOTHER IDEA: The food coloring can be left out of the cooking step, and be added in the kneading stage instead (for extra mess and fun!).
- ONE MORE IDEA: Add several drops of vanilla or lemon extract/oil for a nice smell.
- CLEAN UP IS EASY: Lay some waxed paper on the tabletop.
- FINISH UP: Varnish or shellac your finished creation to preserve it!