Recipe by Um Safia
Hilbeh is an amazing dip which is delicious when eaten with freshy baked or toasted flat bread. It is kind of a cross between a jelly, a chutney & a salsa... You'll be amazed to see how it's made! Try this for an unusual starter or appetizer. Time to make doesn't include the fenugreek soaking time.
- 1 tablespoon finely ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 -1 1⁄2 liter boiling water (4-6 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large vine ripened tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom seed (from about 3-4 pods)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the fenugreek powder in a large bowl. Pour plenty of boiling water over the powder & stir. Using lots of water helps take away some of the bitterness of the fenugreek. Leave to stand for at least 5 hours or overnight if possible.
- Carefully pour the water off, to reveal surprising mound of fenugreek jelly.
- Place the garlic, tomato, tomato puree, caraway seeds, cardamom seeds, chilli flakes & salt in a blender & process until very smooth. Taste for seasoning. Add the fenugreek jelly & pulse to mix.
- Serve as a dip for warm flat bread such as pitta etc.