Recipe by senseicheryl
Here is yet another Thanksgiving Day recipe from Hungry Girl! The holidays are here. Know what that means? It's green bean casserole time! But did you know that even though the main ingredient in the classic dish is green beans, each serving can have about 250 - 300 calories and TONS of fat? How can that be? It's all those crazy canned fried onions that are crammed into and piled on top of the thing. One little can of those crispy catastrophes has roughly 900 calories and 70 grams of fat! Eeeks! The good news is, with just a few easy swaps, you can make your own version of this holiday fave, for a fraction of the fat and calories. Check out HG's NEW recipe and share it with everyone you know... (Serving Size: 1/8 Casserole - 80 calories, 1g fat, 255mg sodium, 13g carbs, 4g fiber, 3g protein -- POINTS® value 1) Please note that all of the can sizes are approximate as none were provided in the recipe from Hungry Girl. I will update this when I make the recipe! :-) ANOTHER NOTE: ***This recipe will rock your holiday world!!!! The key ingredient here is the Crispy Delites Red Onion Chips. You can buy them online at heavenlydietstore.com or yummydelights.com. In a pinch, you can use an ounce of onion-flavored soy crisps instead.
- 2 (12 ounce) bags frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 (10 ounce) canl campbell's 98% fat free cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 cup silk light soymilk
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) bag Crispy Delites red onion chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Defrost and thoroughly drain green beans. Draining these is sooo important. Make sure they are dry. Use a towel if you need to! Place half of the dried green beans in a casserole dish (2-3 quart rectangular works best). Mix soup with the soy milk. Spread 1/2 of the soup mixture on top. Lay some sliced water chestnuts on top. Top with remaining green beans, cover again with the rest of the soup mixture and another layer of water chestnuts. Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 45 minutes. Finally, add crushed onions on top and cook for another 10-15 minutes or so.