Herbed Potato Roesti With Smoked Cheddar
- Melt butter in 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Season shredded potatoes with salt and pepper. Add herbs and mix in thoroughly. Spread potatoes evenly; press with spatula to form compact cake.
- Cook until bottom crust is golden brown, pressing on potatoes occasionally with spatula, about 15 minutes.
- Shake skillet or use spatula to loosen roesti. Place large plate or platter over skillet and carefully invert.
- Slide roesti back into skillet and cook until bottom is golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Add cheese and spread evenly; cover and cook until cheese melts, about 5 more minutes. Serve immediately.