Recipe by HEP MEP
This is a nice little quiche from The Runner's Cookbook printed in 1979. I used to make this quite a bit till my husband informed me that he does not like Swiss cheese. Oh well.
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
Excellent quiche. Great meld of flavors between the mushrooms (baby portobello), cheese and basil. Made as written with the exception of reducing water to 1 cup and adding 1 more egg. This recipe will go into my breakfast cookbook and be made again. Made in memory of MEP.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 eggs or 3 egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked (or pastry-lined quiche pan)
- 1⁄3 lb grated swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms in margarine or butter.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Drain any liquid that accumulates.
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Prick pie crust with a fork several times.
- Pre-bake pastry for 5 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cheese and basil.
- Place cooled mushrooms in the pie shell.
- Sprinkle cheese-basil mixture over the mushrooms.
- Beat the eggs,water,milk powder,salt and pepper in a bowl until blended.
- Pour over cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.