Hearty rustic crackers with lots of character, crunch, and flavor! (Slightly adapted from a Whole Foods Market recipe.)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (raw & shelled)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (raw & shelled)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed, whole
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling on crackers
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups barley flour or 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk, plus more for brushing on crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Place 1/4 cup (whole) pumpkin seeds, 1/4 cup (whole) sunflower seeds, and 1/4 cup whole flax seeds in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In either a food processor or on a cutting board with a knife, chop remaining 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds to the size of grains of rice.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together chopped pumpkin and sunflower seeds, ground flax seeds, minced garlic, crumbled dried rosemary, salt, freshly ground black pepper, baking powder, and barley flour. Pour in olive oil and milk, and mix well; then stir in reserved whole pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds.
- Shape dough into 40 balls (about 2 teaspoons each). Arrange on prepared baking sheets: 20 to a sheet, and equally spaced. Flatten each dough ball to a thickness of 1/4 inch; brush tops with milk, and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake crackers for 18 to 22 minutes, or until crisp and browned.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely before serving.