Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Don't you just love artichokes? From Partyliine with the Hearty Boys, this has gotten rave reviews! Hope you enjoy!
- vegetable oil
- 1 (18 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, to squeeze over fritters
- kosher salt, to sprinkle
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pour 3 inches of vegetable oil into a heavy bottomed pot and place over medium heat until a bread cube placed in the oil browns within 1 minute.
- Coarsely chop the artichokes (or crush by hand) and put them in a large mixing bowl. Add the garlic and scallions, parsley(if using), milk, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a separate bowl and quickly mix the dry ingredients into the artichoke mix. Drop the fritters by heaping tablespoonfuls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Work in batches until all the batter is used. Keep warm in a warm oven until ready to serve. Immediately before serving, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over all and sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Serve with a dollop of Lemon Cream on top, if desired.
I made these for dinner tonight with a salad. Delicious! I had marinated artichoke hearts so I only added 1 clove of garlic and no parsley. Turned out perfect! Everyone in the family is really enjoying them. Thanks Sharon. I will make these again, definitely.