Recipe by Erin Justice
I got this from a MFK Fisher book. Don't be scared of the "Prunes". If they don't disintegrate in the sauce, I always strain out the chunks before I make the sauce. But the flavor will keep your hubby coming back for more!
- 4 -5 lbs rump roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups dried prunes
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat a heavy deep pan on medium-high heat.
- Add oil, and brown roast on all sides until a golden crust forms.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add prunes and 2 cups of water.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat from liquid and place on a platter.
- If you wish, you can strain out the prune pieces, but save the juices!
- Stir in vinegar, water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon. Cook rapidly until a thick sauce is formed.
- Pour sauce over and around meat.
- I like to serve garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans with this dish.