Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this on rubyglen.com while searching for a healthier zucchini spice bread.
Make and share this Healthy Zucchini Carrot Spice Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (shredded)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour (sifted)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (for a glass loaf pan, reduce the heat to 325). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- Clean the zucchini, cut off the ends, and shred using a grater. Peel the carrots, trim off the ends and shred with a grater. Mix the zucchini and the carrot with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Place in a colander with a heavy pot on top. Allow to sit for 20 minutes. This will help rid the vegetables of excess water.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs until frothy. Add the applesauce a little at a time and beat well. Then, add the sugar. While still beating, add the pumpkin.
- Mix in the vanilla and the lemon peel. When thoroughly mixed, add the carrot and zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients a little at a time. Be careful not to over mix. Slowly mix in the nut and raisins.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans and cool completely.
- Store in a refrigerator wrapped in waxed paper, then in foil.
This bread is very moist and packed with flavor. Really like the addition of cardamom, and may increase the amount next time. Will be making this again. Made for Fall 2012 PAC game.