Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A good sandwich with lots of crisp vegetables that can be made two hours ahead.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 ounces lean ham, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces lean turkey breast, thinly sliced
- 8 slices tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Slice buns in half horizontally.
- Pull out soft inside of both top and bottom halves, leaving 1/2 inch shells.
- Line each bottom half with a lettuce leaf.
- Spoon mushroom mixture evenly onto lettuce using a slotted spoon.
- Cover with remaining lettuce.
- Arrange ham, turkey, tomato slices, and cheese on lettuce.
- Place top halves on sandwiches, and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill up to 2 hours.
- Cut in half to serve.
This recipe was cut in half just for the 2 of us, but THEY'RE SO TASTY, that I want to make them another time when we have company! VERY, VERY NICE, & this was one time, at least, that I included the fresh, UNCOOKED mushrooms ~ They were a great addition to this sandwich! I also like being able to make them ahead of time, then pull them out of the frig & they're ready to eat! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the lazyme cook-a-thon]