Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tasty hermits made yummy with chopped apple, dried apricots or raisins. This batter is quite thick and I spread the cookies slightly after dropping on the baking sheet. A tiny old clipping from a newspaper posted for safe keeping, My kids loved these little hermit cookies!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots or 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat over to 375 degrees and grease baking sheets.
- Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs and beat well.
- Stir in flour, oatmeal and spices.
- Add apple, fruit, nuts and milk powder and stir mixture until combined.
- Drop by tablespoon onto baking sheets, spreading lightly.
- Bake for approximately 10 - 12 minutes, depends on your oven.
Oh, these taste like my childhood! I had forgotten how good spiced cookies are; and with apples and raisins, so yum. The cloves makes my taste buds take notice. I made them as written except for the one cup of apple turned into one apple, chopped. It was a big one!
Had my neighbour over for coffee this afternoon and these cookies hit the spot with her too, and now she has the recipe. Thanks Elly!
I was a little unsure about that much cloves & nutmeg but it was very good. I think I would have given it 5 stars if the salt was less. I will be making this again but with 1/2 the salt. Thanks for posting, it's a keeper!