1/1 Photo of Healthy Fresh Veggie, Herbs and Barley Salad
A very healthy alternative to pasta salad for picnics or pot lucks. This recipe was given to me by Gail Johnston, my Broker. She ad libs it and I took liberties with the veggies I included. She adds dried fruit like cranberries or raisins, but I omitted those for this version. Her recipe also calls for black beans, I only had Garbanzos, so thats what I used. Again, ad lib with what you like. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, Chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon balm, Chopped (or you can use any complimentary herbs)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup broccoli floret
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, Diced
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, Diced
- 1/4 cup orange bell pepper, Diced
- 1/4 cup carrot, Diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, Diced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, Diced
- 1/4 cup asparagus, Chopped (crisp steamed or blanched)
- 1 (15 ounce) can hearts of palm, Diced (or substitue Artichoke Hearts)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1In a saucepan, bring Water and Salt to a boil and add Barley. Reduce to simmer until Barley is al dente and water is absorbed (30-40 minutes).
- 2Stir in Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Paprika, Garlic Powder, and Fresh Herbs.
- 3Stir in Veggies, Beans and Hearts of Palm, incorporating well with the Barley mixture.
- 4Stir in Salt and Balsamic Vinegar to season to taste.
- 5Cover and refrigerate over night for best flavor.
- 6Serve Chilled or Room temperature The Lemon juice is a natural preservative.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Fresh Veggie, Herbs and Barley Salad
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 434.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: