Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very healthy alternative to pasta salad for picnics or pot lucks. This recipe was given to me by Gail Johnston, my Broker. She ad libs it and I took liberties with the veggies I included. She adds dried fruit like cranberries or raisins, but I omitted those for this version. Her recipe also calls for black beans, I only had Garbanzos, so thats what I used. Again, ad lib with what you like. Enjoy!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano, Chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon balm, Chopped (or you can use any complimentary herbs)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, Diced
- 1⁄4 cup yellow bell pepper, Diced
- 1⁄4 cup orange bell pepper, Diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, Diced
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, Diced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, Diced
- 1⁄4 cup asparagus, Chopped (crisp steamed or blanched)
- 1 (15 ounce) can hearts of palm, Diced (or substitue Artichoke Hearts)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a saucepan, bring Water and Salt to a boil and add Barley. Reduce to simmer until Barley is al dente and water is absorbed (30-40 minutes).
- Stir in Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Paprika, Garlic Powder, and Fresh Herbs.
- Stir in Veggies, Beans and Hearts of Palm, incorporating well with the Barley mixture.
- Stir in Salt and Balsamic Vinegar to season to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate over night for best flavor.
- Serve Chilled or Room temperature The Lemon juice is a natural preservative.