Prep 1 min
Cook 1 min
This is a recipe I make over and over--it's simple, fast, healthy, inexpensive and good for any season/occasion. I love creamy pesto sauces over pasta, but ya know those sauces ain't so healthy: high in fat, sodium, or both. Even those little packets of creamy pesto sauce in the "gravy" aisle aren't good for you. This sauce is better for you and even faster to make than one of those packets! You can adjust to taste or what you have on hand: I've used fat-free yoghurt, low fat yoghurt and (my favourite) homemade yoghurt--you can buy fresh at an Indian grocer. The recipe makes about a cup, which you can mix with cooked chicken or sauteed mushrooms (or both, like I do!) or steamed clams or steamed veggies and pour over enough cooked pasta for 2-4 people. I'll post other recipes with some of my favourite uses, but be creative!
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 -4 tablespoons basil pesto (homemade or store bought, whichever you have/prefer)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Mix yoghurt and pesto together in a small saucepan, stirring well to blend.
- Heat on low until warmed through (do not overheat).
- Add fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- That's it!
- Serve over your favourite hot pasta or other main dish, such as fish or chicken.
- (if you skip the heating step, this makes a good salad dressing, too).
This is alos great with sundried tomato or roasted red pepper pesto... has become a favourite to have with pasta and salami