1/1 Photo of Hazelnut-Espresso Sandwich Cookies
2 hrs 40 mins
From the pages of Taste of Home, submitted by Cindy Beberman, these are a wonderfully crisp little cookie with a rich filling sure to please if you're a coffee/hazelnut/chocolate lover! I easily halved the batch and got 30 cookies! To save time, I made the filling before the cookies because it does take awhile to set up and saves time in the long run! *I've made these again since first posting and used Land O Lakes fat free half and half in place of the whipping cream to cut some of the fat/calories/cholesterol a bit and it works just as well without compromising the taste!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, yolk, espresso granules and vanilla.
- 2Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture mixing well. Stir in hazelnuts.
- 3Divide dough into thirds; flatten each portion into a circle. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 4On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter; place 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 5Bake at 375* for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 6FOR FILLING: in small saucepan, bring cream to boil. Remove from heat; stir in milk chocolate chips and 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips until melted. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or until filling reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 7Spread filling over the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Melt remaining semisweet chocolate chips; drizzle over cookies.
- 8Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hazelnut-Espresso Sandwich Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1744 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2382.4
- Calories from Fat 1395
- Total Fat 155.0 g
- Saturated Fat 79.3 g
- Cholesterol 407.5 mg
- Sodium 962.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 242.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.3 g
- Sugars 145.6 g
- Protein 27.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: