Recipe by **Jubes**
These are delicious served with a coffee. The friand originated in France and is now found in cafes the world over. This is an easy version, a traditional fraiand would include browned butter. This version can be made gluten free by using a gluten free flour blend and adding 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- 185 g butter (not margarine)
- 1 cup hazelnut meal (you can grind hazelnuts until fine)
- 6 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups pure icing sugar also known as confectioners' sugar (not a blended sugar)
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 100 g strawberries (can substitute with dried fruits)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 170°C Grease a 12 cup friand pan tray (grease well). Can use muffin tins if you do not have a friand tray.
- Combine butter, hazelmeal, egg whites, icing sugar and plain flour in a medium bowl. Stir until combined.
- If using dried fruits, then blend them in with the above ingredients also.
- Spoon into the friand pans and scatter with the fresh strawberry slices.
- Bake for approx 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stand 5 minutes in the tray. Place on wire racks to cool.
- Serve dusted with more icing sugar if desired.