Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ha was a very nice military wife I used to know. This fruit salad is one of her family recipes. After I tasted it and asked for the recipe, she was so pleased that I had enjoyed the recipe, that she not only provided me with instructions as to how to make it, but the ingredients as well. You will need to look in an Asian market for the ingredients for this recipe and some will find this to be a very acquired taste. Ai-Yu jelly may looks a lot gelatin and comes in both green and red (and perhaps other colors as well) but Ha used green. Do not try to substitute ordinary Jell-O type gelatin for the Ai-Yu jelly as it is not the correct taste or consistency. Although she called it a salad, I consider this to be a dessert soup. I have since eaten this using coconut milk as well, served as a cold soup. I have also tried using coconut jelly (which comes precubed) in place of the Ai-yu with good results.
- Drain the fruits, saving the juices.
- Chop the palm seeds into small cubes and slice the jackfruit into julienne strips.
- Drain the Ai-Yu jelly and dice into small cubes.
- Combine the jackfruit, palm seeds, and the jelly cubes in a large glass serving bowl or divide into individual serving dishes.
- Ha served this in one large serving bowl and poured milk or cream mixed with some of the reserved fruit juices over it all to taste.
- I prefer to only serve out as much fruit& jelly as needed per serving dish, and then pour a little cream or milk mixed with some of the reserved fruit juice on top.
- Ha said it was more traditional to use cream, but she often used milk to be healthier.
This was unusual. I recommend this for people who have an appreciation for international/cross culture cuisine. Very Good recipe HeatherFeather!