Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother has been making these since I was a child. I had no idea how easy they were until I asked her for the recipe. She got the recipe back in the 1960's from her friend Harriet. Few ingredients and delicious!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 ounces milk chocolate candy bars or 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- Cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Mix in the egg yolk and vanilla.
- Add the flour and salt.
- spread in an 9 X 13 baking dish. I like to put parchment in the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes.
- Immediately after taking it out of the oven, put the chocolate bar on top to melt.
- Spread the chocolate all over the bar (you can add tidbits on top of the chocolate - toasted pecans and Heath Bar bits are both good).
- Cut diagonally.
My husband loves shortbread and this recipe works very nicely, a moister pre-baked mixture than I'm used to but gave a good biscuity texture. It was easy to chop up a chocolate bar, sprinkle it onto the baked biscuit and smooth gently a moment or so later. A very nice baked treat, that didnt take me long to whip up, thank you Bibliobethica, made and enjoyed for Spring PAC 2014