Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This makes a fast one dish "hamburger helper" type meal. Be sure to use a good beef broth as it provides a great deal of flavour for your dish. Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms that I saute with the onion & pepper. This can also be made with ground chicken, using chicken broth.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced (I have used red)
- 14.79 ml oil
- 226.79 g lean ground beef
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml vegetable seasoning (like mrs dash)
- 236.59 ml long grain rice, raw
- 118.29 ml beef broth (heated in microwave)
- 473.18 ml beef broth (heated in microwave)
- Saute the onion and green pepper in the oil until soft.
- Add the beef and garlic, breaking up the meat and cooking until done.
- Season with salt, pepper and vegetable seasoning.
- Add the rice, cooking & stirring until rice goes translucent, but not brown.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth, stirring until absorbed.
- Add remaining broth. Cover & simmer until rice is tender & liquid is absorbed. This should take about 20 minutes. Serve.
Easy and very kid friendly. I did add 2 extra cloves of garlic and increased the Mrs. Dash seasoning to 1 tsp. I also used my oven at 350 for 30 minutes. I don't have much luck cooking rice in anything on the stove top.
This is really delicious and a welcome meal after all of the Christmas extravagance. I replaced the ground beef with veggie crumbles and had red pepper. Quick and simple way to fill the family. Made for *Partying The Diabetic Way*
Loved this healthy, fast meal. I agree about the beef broth- it gives the dish a great depth of flavour. I must admit I added a little taco seasoning in place of the Mrs Dash as I have really missed mexican food since going on a diet! Definitely one we'll repeat and it has loads of potential for variations. Maybe a french onion version next?!